Theme: Impressions of Louisiana Nature
Sponsored by BREC Foundation
After many years of hosting our Swamp Art Show Series, we will be combining all three shows into a larger exhibition in 2020. Participants working in fiber arts, fine arts and photography are all invited to show and compete for a variety of prizes. The theme for our 2020 exhibition is “Impressions of Louisiana Nature”. While the theme is not limited to swamps, works should reflect subjects found outdoors in Louisiana’s natural landscapes. The exhibition will show from January 17 to March 1.
- Requirements: Due to space limitations and expansion of the show, we are only allowing one (1) piece per entrant. We reserve the right to refuse entries if they do not adhere to the theme of the exhibition (Louisiana Nature) or if they surpass the size requirements. If your piece is to be hung (ie. wall or ceiling), you must provide the proper hanger to do so to prevent damage (i.e. bracket/wire behind the piece, rod pocket for quilts, etc.) and to allow for best aesthetical display.
- Size Requirements: Due to limited space canvases may not exceed 24x36 or 6 square feet. Photographs are not required to be framed; however, they must not exceed 16x20 (framed). Quilts and other large fabric pieces may not exceed 50x70. Larger art pieces, special displays, or custom installations may be submitted upon approval.
- The Story: We are also asking artists to write a short paragraph interpreting their work for our visitors. This can be a very short back story, a poem, or a description of how (or why) you created the piece in the way it was done. This component is to allow our artists a voice with their piece to help connect our guests to the art.
- Registration Deadline: Intent to Enter form must be received no later than December 30, 2019.
- Artwork Drop-off: In order to accommodate all of our artists, we will be accepting pieces from January 9 – 12, 2020 during normal operating hours (Thursday- Saturday from 9am-5pm and Sunday from noon-5pm). Pieces will be stored in a locked room onsite until the exhibition is set up the following week.
If you would like to show a piece for the exhibition an Intent to Enter form will be required. For additional questions please contact Jessica Guthrie, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the Nature Center at (225) 757-9390 for more information.
Exhibit Run: January 17-March 1
Swamp Art Soiree - Opening Reception
January 16, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
This function will be held for our adult artists (18+) only. We will have wine and refreshments while they last as we enjoy a presentation of Windows to Bluebonnet Swamp by Mr. John Hartgerink.
Meet the Artists - Closing Reception
March 1, 2:30-4:30 p.m.
All ages are welcome to help celebrate the close of the exhibition. Refreshments will be provided as reveal our prize winners. Artists may pick up their piece immediately following the reception.
Entry Deadline: January 7, 2020