Forest Community Park
Forest Community Park is a community park that serves a larger geographic area than a neighborhood park. Community parks are designed to offer amenities for the entire family for a whole day. This park is located on the southeastern part of East Baton Rouge Parish and was reopened in 2010 following major renovations. New features including pavilions available for rent, a Raising Canes dog park, fishing pond, trails, community playground, splash pad and a tennis center were added to the existing baseball/softball fields and recreation center.
The existing recreation center and gymnasium was originally built in the 1970's and the gymnasium has never been air conditioned. This renovation is part of a new BREC initiative for updating its most heavily used recreation centers to include air conditioning allowing interior climate control for comfort and new quality programming space that meets the needs of the community. In addition to energy saving improvements and air conditioning the gymnasium, the updated recreation center will offer over 4,000 square feet of additional space.
New Features in Current Project Improvements:
- new play area
- new lobby/reception area
- new meeting rooms
- new multi-purpose room
- new restrooms
- new storage space
- new heat & air conditioning
- resurfaced gym floor
- April 2016 - Bid issued
- June 2016 - Notice to Proceed issued to Wharton-Smith, Inc.
- July 2016 - Groundbreaking ceremony held
- August 2017 - Construction experiencing delays due to weather.
- Setpember 2017 - Construction estimate at 85% compleition
- October 2017 - Contractor wrapping up scope; permitting, etc. next.
- January 2018 - Flood repairs underway for new construction
- November 2018 - Bid for flood repairs to existing structure awareded to ANR Construction
- January 2019 - Mold abatement underway. Flood repair immediately to follow.
Estimated Budget/Construction Cost: $1,231,800
Estimated Completion for Current Improvements: Spring 2019