Magnolia Mound Plantation

All Parks | Special Use Facility

14.8 Acres -

About Magnolia Mound Plantation

BREC's Magnolia Mound Plantation is a rare survivor of the vernacular architecture influenced by early settlers from France and the West Indies. This venerable landmark is unique in southern Louisiana not simply because of its age, quality of restoration, or outstanding collections, but because it is still a vital part of the community. Through educational programs, workshops, lectures, festivals, and other special events, Magnolia Mound's mission is to illustrate and interpret the lifestyle of the French Creoles who formed the fascinating culture which still influences and pervades life in southern Louisiana.

The plantation house, now surrounded by an urban setting, was once the center of a 900-acre operation with frontage on the Mississippi River. The main house was built in 1791 as a small settler's house and as prosperity came to the lower Mississippi Valley, the house was enlarged and renovated in 1802-05, to become the elegant seat of a major landowner. Spanning the colonial era and early statehood, Magnolia Mound's collection of furnishings and decorative arts include one of the foremost public groups of Louisiana- made objects, in carefully restored and documented settings. The object collection includes locally made furniture from Louisiana's colonial period, as well as French pieces that illustrate the ties of the sophisticated planter with his family in France. Inventory records and accounts from the period indicate that prosperous local planters purchased fashionable Federal-style objects from the eastern seaboard. Decorative art items also include English and French ceramics, crystal and furniture obtained through the major port of New Orleans and locally made textiles. The collection includes objects that help to convey the distinctive taste of this large Catholic family in south Louisiana. Of the 900 original land-grant acres, we retain 16 acres.

Structures on the property include:
Historic House Museum- BREC's Magnolia Mound Plantation, a historic house museum, is accredited by the American Association of Museums. The original section of the
Main House was built c. 1791. The house was expanded to its present size at the beginning of the 19th century. During that particular time, details such as a rare cove ceiling and Federal accents were added. 
Surrounded by many aged live oaks, the plantation house has retained its Creole plan and character for over 200 years. It is constructed of cypress beams with bousillage-entre-poteau and the original cypress flooring. Furnishings include period Federal, Greek Revival and locally made artifacts. The furnishing illustrates how a French Creole plantation house would
have been decorated in the early 19th century.
Open-Hearth Kitchen- Reconstructed separate outdoor kitchen is authentically furnished with vintage utensils, such as spider pots, a clock-jack, sugar nippers, waffle iron, olla jar and reflector ovens.
Overseer's House- Original to the plantation c. 1870 and home to the man who was responsible for the success or failure of the plantation's various operations.
Quarter House- A double slave cabin c. 1830 has one living quarter furnished appropriately to the period. The adjoining section contains an exhibit of slave life on a Louisiana plantation.
Crop Garden- Our crop garden contains indigo, tobacco, cotton, and sugar cane in order to depict all of Magnolia Mound's cash crops throughout our history.
Pigeonnier- A small structure c.1825, to house squab and various game birds, featuring a new collection of live pigeons.
Carriage House- A collection of vintage tools, as well as a weaver's workshop that depicts plantation chores c.1800-1820.

This project is also part of BREC's Imagine Your Parks, a project funded by a parish-wide $3.25 million property tax that voters approved in November 2004.  The following improvements were recently made: installation of a new roof and HVAC system; repairs to the floors; refurbishment of all of the paint and wallpaper.  

BREC and the Friends of Magnolia Mound Plantation had several nationally recognized historic property experts examine, assess and report recommendations for impovement to the more than 200-year-old historic house. Restoration architect Jerry M. Campbell oversaw all of the roofers, artisans and engineers that work on the project.  Campbell played an instrumental role in renovating and restoring several of Baton rouge's treasured buildings, including the Old State Capitl, the Old Governor's Mansion and the Shaw Center for the Arts.

Now that construction is completed, the house is open for tours and is periodically dressed c. 1800-1820 for occasions such as weddings, funerals, Christmas, Lent and summer.

Program and Rental Fees  

 Programs  Fees
Camp Programs:  
 Summer Day Camp  $110/ week
 Holiday Camps  $22/ day
 Facility Rentals for Individual/ For-profit groups  
 The Hart House  $350/ 4 hrs; $75/ additional hour
 La Grange (barn)  $600/ 4 hrs; $125/ additional hour
 Site (Hart House, barn back porch, gazebo and grounds)  $1,250/ 4 hrs; $125/ additional hour
 Gazebo  $100/ 2 hrs; $50/ additional hour
 Facility Rentals for non-profit groups:  
 The Hart House  $250/ 4 hrs; $50/ additional hour
 La Grange (barn)  $400/4 hours; $75/ additional hour
 Site (Hart House, barn back porch, gazebo and grounds)  $950/ 4 hrs; $100/ additional hour
 Gazebo  $75/ 2 hrs; $25/ additional hour

Click here to follow us on Facebook.

Friends of Magnolia Mound Plantation  

 

Magnolia Mound Plantation Store

We cordially extend the invitation to visit our historic museum store, Josephine's Parlor. Josephine's Parlor was named after Josephine Joyce Duplantier, a member of the Duplantier family who owned the Plantation during the early 19th century.

Located in the Visitor's Center, Josephine's Parlor offers an interesting selection of books, exquisite jewelry, hand-crafted items and unique, affordable gifts. Children have their very own section of the museum store that features fun, educational toys, books and collectibles.

 

Volunteers Needed
Magnolia Mound Plantation seeks educational, house and kitchen docents as well as gardeners. For more information about these volunteer opportunities contact Mary Merchant at 225-343-6653 or volunteer@magnoliamound.org.

 

For more information about this park, please contact:
225-343-4955

 

View Park Staff
John Sykes
Magnolia Mound Plantation Manager
2161 Nicholson Drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70802
Phone: 225-343-4955
jsykes@brec.org

Location:

2161 Nicholson Drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70802

Hours:

Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, 1-4 p.m.

Site by Covalent Logic