Transforming Greenwood Community Park into the Gateway for Your New Baton Rouge Zoo
Greenwood Community Park is the largest park in the BREC system, comprised of 660-acres, almost half of which is an undeveloped natural wooded Louisiana landscape. Currently, the Baton Rouge Zoo and the park are designed as separate, distinct locations and BREC’s vision is to transform the area to make Greenwood the gateway to the new, modernized Zoo. This ambitious project will be designed and planned to make an extraordinary contribution to the quality of life, health and wellness and vibrant economic transformation of the surrounding area and entire parish.
Two nationally renowned and award-winning design firms specializing in zoo and municipal park planning and design, will lead the process which will include an extensive public outreach and stakeholder engagement plan to create a common public vision for the Park and Zoo.
The completed visionary master plan report will include an illustrative master plan and other supporting graphic imagery that captures the spirit of the proposed features and their characteristics, a phasing plan with priorities and associated cost estimates, and funding strategies that will chart the Zoo and Greenwood Community Park’s future development for the next 10 years.
The ultimate vision will be an incredible, modernized educational facility where people can see and learn about animals from around the world right before their eyes and within an amazing world-class park that could include such amenities as a signature adventure playground, miles of nature trails, paved biking and walking paths, lakes and waterways, athletic fields, and many more essential ingredients that create a great municipal park – all in an expansive lush setting that showcases Louisiana’s natural beauty.
The Master Planning process is expected to be completed in approximately 10 months.
Why Zoos Matter
Great zoos provide cities with educational and entertaining activities for both residents and visitors alike, and a zoo with a beautiful park as its gateway is a gift, in particular, to children who may visit both on school trips and with their families, businesses seeking a unique site for large meetings and retreats, couples planning unforgettable weddings and conventions planning receptions for visitors from across the country.
Zoo’s core mission is conservation – Our Zoo plays an important role in local and global conservation as it is in a unique position to make a difference in the survival of a variety of animal species. The research that takes place at a zoo on animal behavior, reproductive biology, nutrition, health and genetics is also valuable to wildlife managers, field researchers and other scientists.
Entertain, educate & engagestrong> – From safari nights to twilight tours to spring and summer zoo camps, children and adults alike can make an emotional connection with animals at zoos and form memories with their loved ones that can last a lifetime. Visitor research shows that when people experience the wonderment of animals up close, they are empowered to learn more and behave differently.
Safe, active family funstrong> – The Baton Rouge Zoo is a place where families can have unique experiences together each time they visit. With increased concern about conservation of the natural world, today's families are more aware than ever of the need to teach their children about nature and instill a respect for other living creatures – particularly those in danger of extinction. Additionally, spending a day at our Zoo means enjoyable walks between exhibits and time spent outdoors, which provides a healthy option for families who wish to get their kids off the sofa and away from the television or computer screen.
Zoos are a quality of life assetstrong> – As economic development organizations and corporate leadership look to strengthen and partner with regions, our Zoo is a key component to building a region’s cultural and educational assets. Good zoos are community assets that help residents thrive and attract visitors. Through partnerships, there is a collective ability for a larger mission-driven impact, which will better our community.
The Vision for the Zoo
The leadership of BREC’s Baton Rouge Zoo intends to completely reinvent the current zoo through a transformation of the visitor experience, into a zoological journey that offers visitors a fun, unique and memorable zoo adventure with the world-renowned Torre Design Consortium leading the way
- Baton Rouge’s reimagined zoo will be the entertainment and educational destination for residents and tourists in the Baton Rouge region.
- This transformation of the Baton Rouge Zoo will enhancer best practices in animal management, natural environments, visitor engagement and public education.
- Baton Rouge’s reimagined zoo represents a significant commitment to Baton Rouge as a center for conservation and education excellence.
- Best of all this zoological journey will engage hundreds of thousands of visitors in a compelling and memorable wildlife experience, unique to Baton Rouge and a draw for anyone planning to visit the area.
- In 2016, 40.8% of children in Baton Rouge lived below the federal poverty line. Most of these children have never seen a wild animal more exotic than a sparrow, squirrel or a cat. A state-of-the-art Zoo will provide our city’s most under resourced children with the opportunity they might never otherwise have to see and learn about animals from around the world as well as importance of conservation on a field trip.
- Baton Rouge deserves a state-of-the-art zoo!
How to Make it Happen
- Our Zoo leadership is united and determined to give Baton Rouge a world-class zoo and entertaining experience for those who visit it. This combined park and zoological journey will be a key cultural cornerstone of this growing and dynamic city, and one that will draw people to the region and its residents will use and enjoy for years to come.
- Big ideas take time. Our Zoo leadership is dedicated to transparency during the planning process and will share updates as the project advances with the skilled expert consultants leading the way.
- All options and opportunities are on the table and each will be evaluated in light of the vision that has been created for the Baton Rouge Zoo. Everyone involved wants what is best for Baton Rouge and will work to make it happen.
- Community input will be key to the planning process to ensure that the zoo is viable and sustainable for generations to come.
Summary of Impact:
The Zoo at its core is a conservation organization with potential to play an even larger role in the wildlife conservation community. In this greater vision of a totally reinvented Zoo, it could provide:
- A fun, safe and active family adventure that promotes overall mental and physical wellness.
- A living classroom and education leveraging school-based curriculum, inspiring lifelong learning.
- A tourist and convention guest destination further supporting the economic development.
- An ideal collaborative partner for other cultural, social service and community organizations for maximum public impact
The Vision for Greenwood
Sasaki Associates, an internationally renowned urban environmental design firm will lead the way in creating a master plan that will allow our Zoo to be artfully integrated into the overall 660-acre Greenwood park that will serves as the new gateway for the Baton Rouge Zoo. Visitors to our Zoo will enter through the park and experience a drive that will provide beautiful viewsheds and scenery as they approach the Zoo’s entrance.
Our vision for Greenwood incorporates visually inspiring landscapes that will contain a new meandering drive network with new access points. This new network will stitch the existing fragmented components of the park into a more cohesive park experience. Natural surface walking trails, open green spaces, paved bikeways, new recreation facilities as well as park program elements that will weave throughout the site. Those elements will be chosen after carefully vetting input from community leaders, partners and residents through participation in meetings and surveys.
Careful analysis of the site’s natural systems will inform the design of these landscape elements using the best environmental science practices. Understanding and preserving the site’s history and creating interpretive opportunities will be of the utmost importance in creating this natural and beautiful gateway to our Zoo.
Sasaki Consultants, an internationally renowned urban environmental design firm will lead the way.