Alcohol Policy


The purpose of this policy is to establish the rules and regulations regarding the service or sale and service, and the associated consumption, of alcoholic beverages in BREC facilities and parks.   It is the intention of BREC to provide the citizens of East Baton Rouge Parish the broadest range of opportunities to enjoy its facilities and parks while protecting the community and its citizens from abuse and disruptive behavior.   To this end, alcoholic beverages are prohibited in all BREC parks and facilities, except for "Sites Designated for Conditional Consumption of Alcoholic Beverages" listed below. 


The following sites are designated as sites allowing conditional service and consumption of alcoholic beverages:

  • All sites designated for conditional consumption of alcoholic beverages (see list below), must be licensed by the Office of Alcoholic Beverage Control/City of Baton Rouge/Parish of East Baton Rouge and the Office of Alcohol and Tobacco Control/State of Louisiana.
  • Each site must have a written Alcohol Consumption Compliance and Management Plan, approved by the BREC Superintendent, detailing how its staff and facility patrons will adhere to all local and state laws and BREC polices as they relate to alcoholic beverages. 
  • Alcoholic beverages must be consumed on site and no alcoholic beverages will be allowed to leave the site.
  • All designated sites must use a licensed bartender service to serve alcoholic beverages or the site's staff must be trained and licensed. Patrons are prohibited from bringing and serving their own alcoholic beverages.
  • All licensed bartender service providers must possess liquor liability insurance with a minimum coverage of $1 million per occurrence and list BREC as an additional insured. However, the Alcohol Consumption Compliance and Management Plan for a specific BREC designated site may require additional insurance.
  • Food must be served in conjunction with the consumption of alcoholic beverages.
  • In the case of events or facility rentals with multi-age attendees, alcoholic beverages must be served and consumed in a designated area.
  • Alcoholic beverages at Sporting Event and Tournament Sites are allowed only for adult tournaments and adult programs. 
  • Each site must provide appropriate security as outlined in its Alcohol Consumption Compliance and Management Plan.
  • New facilities that may be developed and or opened to the public may be added to the list with the BREC Commission's approval. Sites may also be removed from the list by the BREC Commission.

The following sites are designated as sites allowing conditional service and consumption of alcoholic beverages:

Golf Courses

Facility Rentals

Sporting Event and Tournament Sites (Adult Sporting Events Only)

Festival and Fair Sites


Due to the nature of the activities and the age of patrons associated with some BREC facilities, no alcoholic beverages will be allowed or alcohol permit requests approved for these Special Facilities:

  • J.S. Clark Park Golf Course (home of The First Tee junior golf program)
  • Liberty Lagoon and all swimming pools
  • Perkins Road Community Park Extreme Sports Complex

Golf courses with restaurant facilities will be allowed to serve alcohol during the times permitted by the ordinance. Dumas and Beaver Creek Golf Courses will join Santa Maria Golf Course in the selling of beer daily starting Friday, September 20. All other designated BREC facilities will only allow alcohol to be served or sold during alcohol-approved special events, facility rentals or adult tournaments.

 Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Does this new ordinance allow alcohol to be consumed at all BREC parks? 
    No, the law did not change regarding the prohibition of alcohol being allowed or consumed in a BREC park. We are only allowed to serve or sell alcohol at specified facilities when it involves a rental agreement for a specific event and meets all of the guidelines outlined above. Beer will be sold daily at the three golf courses which have restaurant facilities: Santa Maria, Beaver Creek and Dumas Memorial.
  2. Which BREC facilities will be allowed to serve alcohol in conjunction with a rental agreement or Special Event permit? 
    The sites listed above.
  3. Will a professional caterer be required for all rentals? 
    Some facilities will require you to use their licensed servers while other facilities will allow you to select a licensed caterer from BREC’s preferred caterer list.  Each site will be able to provide you with that information pertaining to their facility.
  4. Will security be required for all rentals?
    Security is provided through the rental agreement of each facility.  
  5. How do I start the process of renting a BREC facility?
    Contact information for each facility that will be able to serve alcohol at select events can be obtained by clicking on the name of the facilities listed above. If you are interested in renting a facility not listed above, please call 225-272-9200.