Independence Community Park
New Features in Current Project Improvements:
- renovated garden center
- December 2017 - Bid issued
- February 2018 - Notice to Proceed issued to Percy J. Matherne Contractor, Inc.
- March 2018 - Construction underway
- May 2018 - Buildings metal roof has been removed, addition slab has been poured, addition framing complete, interior demolition complete, wall and framing underway
- June 2018 - Interior renovations underway
- August 2018 - Painted interior, sheetrock installed, cabinetry and lighting in progress.
- October 2018 - Construction Complete
- November 2018 - Garden Center grand opening held in concert with plant sale
Improvements Completed: November 2018
Phase one of the expansion served as the “front gate” for the Botanical Gardens from the East Baton Rouge Parish Main Library and BREC’s Independence Café. The butterfly and parterre garden feature a formal contemporary style that will complement the architecture of the library and café while expanding the formal geometry of the rose garden. The rich materials, furnishings, lighting and attention to detail help set the tone for subsequent garden phases.
The playground replaced in this phase, built in the late 1970’s, was the first of its kind featuring universal and inclusive play features. The renovation features amenities including a new 2 to 12-year old playground, outdoor fitness equipment, a large pavilion for rentals, two smaller picnic pavilions, flag pole, new picnic areas and other site furnishings. The new design increases the open space for the area allowing for more recreational opportunities. BREC is currently in the fundraising phase for another playground at Independence Park that will include inclusive features and will be installed near the tennis center and Liberty Lagoon waterpark.
New Features in this Phase of Improvements:
- new play area
- new butterfly and parterre garden
- new lawn garden
- new library walkways
- new granite millstone fountain
- new twelve garden plots
- new garden promenade
- new garden and library walkways
- new garden entry arbor
- new 2-12 year old playground
- new outdoor fitness equipment
- new large pavilion
- new picnic pavilions (2)
- new picnic areas
Improvements Completed: May 2018