Independence Community Park
The new BREC “Play for All” Playground at Independence Community Park will be a universally accessible playground for people of all ages and abilities. By offering visual, tactile, and cognitive exploratory experiences, the playground will meet a range of developmental, mobility, and social needs for individuals with disabilities and their caregivers. The “Play for All” Playground will be the first playground designed through the principles of universal design. This means that the playground is designed to be useable by all people universally accessible playground in Baton Rouge.
We invite you to review our current progress by clicking on the links and updates below. As we progress through the stages of planning and design, we will be asking community members to participate in surveys and public engagement meetings. Please check back here for updates soon. We hope you will offer feedback and follow the progression of this unique playground!
New Features in Current Project Improvements:
- New Universally Accessible Playground
Project Updates and Timeline
- June 2021 - Discovery Phase - Launch of public engagement process
- June-August 2021 - Master Plan Concept Development Phase
- August 2021 - Final Master Plan delivery and project phasing study for construction
- November 2021 - Toposurvey is completed and Consultant presented Master Plan to committee & commission
- February 2022 - Project in design stage and taking the Master Plan to a more detailed level of design. Will be asking for feedback from the community in Spring 2022.
Estimated Construction Start for Phase I of the Master Plan: 2nd Quarter 2022
Click to view previous improvements
Phase one of the expansion served as the “front gate” for the Botanical Gardens from the East Baton Rouge Parish Main Library and BREC’s Independence Café. The butterfly and parterre garden feature a formal contemporary style that will complement the architecture of the library and café while expanding the formal geometry of the rose garden. The rich materials, furnishings, lighting and attention to detail help set the tone for subsequent garden phases.
Completed: May 2018