Howell Community Park - Improvements
New Features in Current Project Improvements:
- Demolition of old recreation center
- NEW Recreation Center
- NEW Pool & Bath House
- NEW Parking Lot
- September 2020 - Building demoliton to be completed soon; construction to begin shortly
- October 2020 - Demolition complete
- November 2020 - Pre-construction planning
- January 2021 - 5% Complete, construction underway; major demolition is in progress with earthwork and utility installation to follow.
- February 2021 - 8% Complete, demo is largely complete and some site utility installation continuing
- March 2021 - 15% Complete, Demo is complete, site earthwork and creating retention pond
- April 2021 - 18% Complete, site utility infrasureture to be completed
- June 2021 - 25% Complete, earthwork and infrasureture construction continues.
- August 2021 - 28% Complete, Forming the building foundation and preparing for concrete pour.
- November 2021 - 33% Complete, Continuing the forming the building foundation and preparing for concrete pour.
- February 2022 - 40% Complete, Building slab is poured and strucatural steel is up for rec center and pool house, plumbing installation underway and installation of metal wall studs.
- May 2022 - 47% Complete, Building's structional steel and metal studs Structural steel and metal studs are mostly complete and plumbing and electrial mostly complete.
- June 2022 - 50% Complete, Roof and HVAC installation underway.
- August 2022 - 55% Complete, HVAC rough-in complete, electrical and plumbing rough-in complete
- NOVEMBER 2022 - 61% Complete, Building panels installation continues. Parking lot lighting foundations underway.
- February 2023 - 65% Complete, Working on interior insulation and finishes.
- March 2023 - 68% Complete, Progressing on sheetwork installation and interior finish work. Pool excastion has begun. Exterior building panels nearing completion and site work is progressing.
Estimated Completion for Current Improvements: Late Summer 2023
- NEW playground shade sails
COMPLETED JANUARY 2021 (Click to view project timeline)
- SEPTEMBER 2019 - out to bid
- NOVEMBER 2019 - Contracting
- JANUARY 2020 - Consturction underway, 5% Completed
- FEBRUARY 2020 - 10% Completed, under construction
- APRIL 2020 - 15% Complete, Shade Sails and Columns in Fabrication
- JUNE 2020 - cutting away the rubber play surface at each of the column locations. Steel columns have arrived. Auguring the shafts to begin soon
- SEPTEMBER 2020 - 95% Complete, sails installed, couple of remaining punch list items to be completed
- OCTOBER 2020 - 99% Complete, Continuing construction of shade sails
- JANUARY 2021 - 100% Complete, Project completed
- NEW fishing and paddling pond
- NEW earthen amphitheater
- NEW lighted basketball courts
- NEW driveways and parking
- NEW walking and jogging track
- NEW adventure playground
- NEW multi-use athletic field
- IMPROVED bridges
COMPLETED APRIL 2018(Click to view project timeline)
- JUNE 2015 - First public meeting held at Howell Park
- SEPTEMBER 22, 2015 - Second public meeting held
- OCTOBER 3-4, 2015 - Scientific surveys conducted of 306 households in 2 mile radius of Howell Park
- NOVEMBER 2015 - Commission approved closing and repurposing Howell Golf Course
- DECEMBER 11, 2015 - Final Conceptual Master Plan created
- JANUARY 2016 - Selecting consultant to work on design/construction drawings
- FEBRUARY 2016 - Consultant selected to work on design/construction drawings
- APRIL 2016 - Consultant working through Schematic Design – Working on Budget
- SEPTEMBER 2016 - Howell Golf Course Closed
- SEPTEMBER 23, 2016 - Groundbreaking held for Phase 1 of Master Plan
- NOVEMBER 2016 - Construction is underway and the lake is roughly 70% excavated
- MARCH 2017 - Concrete installation has begun with roads and parking to follow soon
- OCTOBER 2017 - Construction estimated at 85% completion. Spring 2018 grand opening likely
- JANUARY 2018 - Athletic Field lighting & golf pro-shop demolition underway
- FEBRUARY 2018 - Grand Opening scheduled for April 2018; Final preparations underway
- APRIL 2018 - Grand Opening held
Other Park Updates:
- November 2018 - Former golf pro shop & recreation center demolished
- January 2019 - Baton Roots raised gardens put in place, tractor farming and storage areas upcoming
The urban farm is a joint project with Baton Roots.