Scotlandville Parkway Survey #2
For anyone not comfortable with taking an online survey, our team will be hosting a Public Meeting December 1, 2021 at the Scotlandville Library 6-7:30 p.m. to allow in person feedback.
BREC Greenway & Blueway Plans
Every 10 years, BREC completes the Imagine Your Parks Strategic Plan, a community-driven plan that reveals the public’s recreational priorities. Both the 2004 and 2014 Strategic Plan recognized trails and connecting park systems as a leading priority, leading to the EBR Pedestrian and Bicycle mater Plan, adopted by the BREC Commission and EBR Metropolitan Council in 2020.
The Blueways trail vision has been developed into a concept plan that focuses on Bayou Fountain, Ward Creek and Bayou Manchaq. The first parish waterway access was completed in 2017 at Highland Road Park on Bayou Fountain. Additional waterway accesses are planned at Airline Highway Park on Ward Creek and Manchac Park on Bayou Manchac.
Guided by the CAPP plan and recommendations from the Health District Infrastructure Committee, BREC began implementing components of Ward Creek and Dawson Creek greenways to create a “Health Loop.” It was envisioned as a comprehensive greenway system that would connect several medical facilities and destinations and be accessible to residents, healthcare staff, and patients and their families for recreation and transportation. The greenways consist of a 12 ft. wide, barrier free concrete pathway designed for pedestrians and cyclists. Portions are complete on Dawson Creek at Quail Drive to BREC Perkins Road Community Park. Complete segments on Ward Creek area at Essen Lane to Our Lady of the Lake Children’s Hospital and Bluebonnet Boulevard to Siegen Marketplace. Plans to connect the Ward Creek Greenway and Dawson Creek Greenway to complete the “Health Loop” are underway.
CMAQ Greenway - Scotlandville Parkway to Downtown
- April 2021 - BREC was awarded a Congestion, Mitigation, and Air Quality (CMAQ) grant for $3.7 million to construct a bicycle and pedestrian trail connecting the Scotlandville Parkway at Monte Sano Avenue to Memorial Park. BREC is also funding an extension of the trail to Spanish Town Road Park. The project is in the planning and design phase and is expected to begin construction in 2021.
Greenwood Greenway - Visit Facility Page
- April 2021 - The first phase of the Greenwood Greenway is complete. BREC received a Transportation Alternatives Program grant to construct the second phase, extending the trail along Lavey Lane and Hwy 19. Planning and design of the trail is complete and construction is pending final DOTD approval.
Scotlandville Parkway - Visit Facility Page
- April 2021 - Master planning the restoration of the Scotlandville Parkway is expect to begin soon. Please stay tuned for information regarding the public input process.
Ward Creek Greenway - Visit Facility Page
- April 2021 - Portions of the Ward Creek Greenway are complete, from Essen Lane to the Children’s Hospital and from Bluebonnet to Siegen Lane Market Place. Construction on the Bluebonnet Extension segment has been stalled due to unforeseen issues requiring further design, but is expected to resume soon. This greenway is part of the Health Loop route vision.
Dawson Creek Greenway - Visit Facility Page
- April 2021 - A portion of the Dawson Creek Greenway is complete, from Quail Drive to Perkins Road Park. BREC is currently developing legal agreements required to construct additional portions of the trail. This greenway is part of the Health Loop route vision.
Manchac Blueway - Visit Facility Page
- April 2020 - Bayou Manchac Blueway Launch – Construction is expected to begin in the summer of 2021 for a Blueway launch at Manchaq Park. The launch will provide access to Bayou Manchac and an opportunity to connect with nature and relax outdoors. It will be located approximately 7 miles, utilizing Bayou Manchaq, from an existing launch at Highland Road Park. For more information regarding the plans for BREC Blueways, view the Blueways Concept Map below.